Susan B. harden
Candidate, District 5
Mecklenburg County Commission
Susan B. Harden is not a politician. She’s an educator, a doer and a dedicated public servant inspired to use her expertise in education and community engagement, as well as her background in finance and economics, to create real, actionable solutions to the challenges facing Mecklenburg County.
A 30-year resident of Charlotte, Susan has dedicated her career to public service. She is an assistant professor in the College of Education at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte, where she educates the teachers of tomorrow. She directs the college’s Civic Minor in Urban Youth and Communities and its Charlotte Community Scholars Program. She recently received Leadership Charlotte’s “Unsung Hero” award, and is a popular national speaker on social trust, service learning and community engagement.
Susan is a strategic thinker who takes a positive and collaborative approach to her work. A lifelong learner, she never loses sight of the big picture. She’s a decisive, action-oriented leader who cares deeply about her community.
On any given day you will find Susan:
- Coaching a pre-service teacher on how to educate students with special needs
- Working with a non-profit to create a meaningful internship for an enthusiastic college student who wants to give back to the community
- Writing a letter of recommendation for a college student
- Taking dinner to a friend
- Meeting with leaders to discuss ideas for improving our community
Susan has been married to Brian Harden for nearly 25 years and they have two beautiful daughters, at UNC-Chapel Hill and Myers Park High School.
Tune into Charlotte Talks today at 9 a.m. to hear from Commissioner Harden and her other newly elected commissioner… https://t.co/jxBiXoMP12